Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What do I want out of MMP?

I want to embrace new technologies. I want to learn how to integrate multimedia platforms across all news formats – breaking news, features, investigative, profiles and analysis. The technological challenges and choices for storytelling are dizzying, fast-changing and often confusing. I’m looking for this class to help me get a handle on how to approach multimedia projects, harness the technology and work with a team to create top-notch productions.


After decades of toiling in the trenches of mainstream television, I’m ready to incorporate the new technology into all aspects of news operations. The old and the novel are quickly converging into a new paradigm. The aftermath of the Haiti earthquake is a vivid example. The Columbia Journalism Review in its online edition said, “new media platforms were critical to delivering early information about damage and relief efforts.”


The BBC noted in an online article with the headline Tech tools offer Haiti lifeline, “the very first images to escape from the region after Tuesday’s earthquake came from citizens, capturing video with mobile phones.” Twitter, Google and Facebook provided critical information about missing persons and were essential communications channels.


I'm looking forward to a challenging and rewarding semester with the MMP team.


No comments:

Post a Comment